Sunday, October 19, 2008

Malphi : Rustic Chic























I was perusing Etsy one day, and discovered this treasure. I have to share!
Old fashioned, fun and comfortable, functional, poetic, historical, romantic, yes, what fits in these descriptors better than aprons?

Let’s face it, the world is changing, and I want to curl up in a book and forget about it. I want to go back in time. I want to mop my floor with a mop, a scrub brush, ancient non-toxic good-smelling soap, not use a plastic machine from walmart to suck the water off it. I want roots, connection, to feel the earth while I garden, to dust with a duster, not a disposable swiffer.

So here are clothes to help you get that down home, egg-hunting, water-carrying feeling.

Malphi, who believes you’re never to old to play dress up, is a terrific spearhead of the apron movement. Trained as an actress, this UK seamstress has brought her theatrical style to sewing, and now to you. She learned to sew from her mother, (the best way in my opinion, as Mum isn’t trying to sell you a sewing machine.)

Dig her designs at her etsy store, her website, http://www.malphistyle.com/, or her blog, Malphi.typepad.com. On her website, Malphi: Rustic Chic, she sells aprons, from short to long, and verity dresses. Each is designed to go over your clothes- just imagine the flexibility! A wrap around verity hope dress to brighten and feminize the standard black outfit, a patchwork apron to hug you at home, over the sink, while you have to face the housework dragon. Turn house work into comfort, turn everyday into Jane Austen’s day… now that’s what I call moving forward!





No comments: